Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Featured Teacher: Maddie

Have you taken a class from Maddie yet?  She makes really fun three dimensional paper projects that double as a cute and unusual scrapbook.  Maddie previously owned a scrapbook store on Dale Mabry and regularly taught classes, we are so excited to now have her at our store.  She absolutely loves Halloween so look for several amazing and spooky Halloween classes with her coming soon and there are still spots available for her Coffin book this weekend!



Here's a little about Maddie:


Please tell us a little about yourself, your family, your background… I am a stay-at-home wife, and have a dog that is named Milo (also known as my son). I have been scrapbooking for about 11 years now but I’m happy to say that my style has evolved quite a bit since the beginning. Most of my layouts are about Milo and our friends and family.

How did you become a scrapbooker or memory-keeper? When I was dating my husband I wanted to record all the things we were doing, but when I got engaged it became a wedding present for my husband of all the things we had done that led us to our wedding day.

How would you describe your scrapbooking style? My style is mostly clean. I tend to use one or three layouts and make that page really pretty and the other will hold six photos just so that I can tell the whole story. I am very guilty of taking too many photographs, (wait! Is that really a crime). I will try something new at least every time I sit down to work.

When do you scrapbook? How much time do you spend on this activity during a typical week? I usually scrap when I get together with my friend, but design classes during the weekdays. Ideas are usually easy but implementing them can sometimes take a while. I like to be VERY inspired when I scrapbook although sometimes I’m just not feeling it. Everyone gets scrappers block. Usually a visit to a favorite website or magazine will get me out of my funk.

What is your favorite way to capture the journaling part of your scrapbooking? I hate journaling! I find it difficult to find the right words to express my feelings. I will wait a while, and sometimes it may take me years. I keep a calendar of everything I have done so when I do sit down, it will jog my memory and help me find the right words.

What story from the past do you most wish had been documented so you and/or your family could enjoy it now? I wish I had more photos of my grandparents, back then I liked photography, in fact I was working as a photographer, but you can say I never took my work home with me.

What is your favorite source of scrapbooking or design inspiration? I’m completely addicted to Pinterest. I love being able to see things that inspire me mixed together all on one board.

What is your favorite part of scrapbooking/memory-keeping? I love playing with paper and glue. It’s not the most important thing about scrapbooking to me, but it makes it fun!

What do you find the most challenging about scrapbooking/memory-keeping? I sometimes spend too much time looking for just the right inspiration for a page instead of trusting my own instincts.

How has your scrapbooking changed since you first started? (or has it?) I am more into pattern paper. While I’m definitely more focused on layout and design, I pay much more attention to the story that I’m telling. I’m not just trying to get photos scrapped.



Check out her upcoming classes:

Coffin Book 
Saturday, September 1st
10:00am - 2:00pm
$40.00
Still a few spots available, call to sign up.






Haunted House Explosion Box
Saturday, October 6th
10:00am - 1:00pm
Cost: $35.00





Potion Book
Saturday, October 6th
1:30pm - 5:00pm
Cost: $40.00
Sneak Peak Photo, more to come soon.

Call the shop at 813-269-7946 to sign up.


No comments: